Best Dog Cooling Vests
Hot dogs are a treat enjoyed by countless people around the globe. But do you know that your hot dogs don’t really like to be hot and being hot can actually harm them? We aren’t the only ones that can suffer from hot flashes, your beloved pooch can also be the victim of overheating from being outdoors for long periods of time. While we have cooling products to help us humans, your dog may need some relief as well.
Don’t let your dog be a hot dog. Below are our top 12 picks for the best Dog Cooling Vests on the market today. Whatever your dog’s size, breed, and shape, we’re sure that you’ll find the perfect accessory to cool down your dog and prevent them from overheating!
Remember, keep them well-hydrated, don’t let them be exposed to the sun for too long, and buy them a cooling vest as a thank you gift for being such good boys and girls!
We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through our links. Read our editorial & disclosure policy to learn more.
Dog Cooling Vests
Ruffwear – Swamp Cooler
The Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Evaporative Dog Cooling Vest is one of the best dog cooling vests you can buy right now. This cooling vest offers a very sleek and compact design to make sure that your dog stays comfortable and won’t get irritated. The materials and snug fit make this suitable for even the most sensitive of pups. The Ruffwear Swamp Cooler has a reflective outer coating that both facilitates better evaporation and reflects the rays of the sun so that your dog doesn’t have to absorb any extra heat.
What makes this one of the best dog cooling vests, even being the best among the options according to some sources, is the high quality construction, excellent sizing chart, leash portal, and very efficient dog cooling capabilities owing to the very reflective surface of the vest.
- Uses an evaporative cooling effect
- Made from multiple layers
- Light gray to reflect heat
- Machine washable on cold wash
- Auto-lock buckles makes it easy to put on/take off
- Brand Ruffwear
- Model 05402-033L
- Weight 8.2 ounces
- Evaporative technology and heat reflection
- Lightweight and easily snagged
- Side buckles allow it to be easily put on and removed
- Simply add more water to “recharge” cooling effect
- Dries out much faster than they expected
- Can get heavy if you don’t wring them out well and drip all over your place.
Sgoda Dog Cooling Vest
This dog cooling vest from Sgoda is one of the easiest cooling vests for your dog to put on with just one zipper to be undone. The girth size of the neck and leg holes is ideal for most dog sizes without being too restrictive or loose.
This vest is made from a high quality, soft nylon material that wicks water quickly to provide effective cooling for your dog. The included leash straps also make cooling your pooch when taking walks outside a breeze. The evaporative cooling this vest provides is made possible by its middle layer which holds the water needed for cooling.
This vest is quite well-built and has an expensive feel for the price. It’s also very durable as it can be either hand or machine washed. This is definitely a strong competitor and should be on your shortlist when looking for a cooling vest for your dog.
- Made from a soft nylon material that doesn't pull for comfortable movement
- Zipper fastening makes it easy to get on/off
- Light grey and reflective green to reflect light
- Available in a range of chest sizes
- Hand or machine wash in cold water
- Brand SGODA
- Weight 4 ounces
- Easy to put on and take off
- Excellent quality
- Reflective fabric
- Really keeps dog cool and comfortable
- Great Cooling Device for Dogs with Health Problems
- Need to re-wet it a few times.
- Hard to clean
Derby Originals Hydro Cooling Dog Jacket
Derby has been a long-standing brand in the equestrian gear, country clothing and horse rug options so they definitely know their way around animals. With that said, when they opted to make cooling vests for dogs, we were definitely excited to hear that. They thought that horses were essentially small dogs, so why not? We can’t argue that their proven pedigree in high quality equestrian gear hasn’t bled into this very special dog cooling vest.
Their Derby Originals Hydro Cooling Dog Jacket is best suited for long-haired, stout and small dogs covering a wide range of sizes. Their detailed sizing guide makes it so you can find the perfect-sized vest for your pooch.
Unlike many other manufacturers that outsource their manufacturing to countries with lower manufacturing standards, Derby touts that their cooling vests are made in the USA and fall under US manufacturing standards ensuring the best quality for the best price. The quilted design of this jacket definitely makes this jacket look and feel more luxurious.
The Derby Cooling Jacket is made from their all new second-generation design, boasting a three-layer construction. The outer layer reflects harmful UV rays and facilitates better evaporation as well as excess heat from the sun if you and your dog are playing or simply strolling around outside. The middle layer absorbs and retains water for evaporative cooling, and the inner layer provides the actual cooling effect and helps keep your dog dry. This results in 6 to 10 hours of effective cooling for your dog.
- High-quality, versatile dog cooling coat
- Cooling effect for up to 8-10 hours.
- Offers two points of adjustment with two elastic Velcro straps for a proper fit.
- Triple-layer quilted technical fabric.
- Brand Derby Originals
- Weight 12.8 ounces
- The key hole for a leash is a bonus
- It works well as a rain coat
- It could also use as crate mat
- It evaporates quickly
- This jacket vest keeps your dog comfortable in the heat and sun
- Heavy when it is weighted down with water
- They absorb the water but don’t get cold
CoolerDog Dog Cooling Vest and Cooling Collar
This particular product caught our attention because of the detached cooling collar that they offer, and the fact that this collar-vest combo apparently contains frozen water taken from one of the US Great Lake areas. We’re not sure if the water has any sort of special cold-retaining properties but for those who want something that has water from the Great Lakes, this one’s for you.
Another unique selling point this vest has is that it’s intended to be used after being frozen. So your dog will definitely feel the cold with this product. This makes it ideal for humid areas where traditional evaporative cooling dog vests may have decreased efficiency.
Not a lot of dog cooling vests include a cooling collar but we think that this gives you the option to use both of them or either the collar or the vest separately which offers a deal of customization to your dog’s cooling experience.
The only things that we didn’t like about this vest was that this didn’t have many sizing options. It only comes in 4 sizes so finding the one that fits your dog may be a little more difficult with this product.
- Uses FlexiFreeze technology to cool your dof as ice turns into water
- Ideal for humid environments
- No buckles to cause pinching
- Chew-resistant nylon outer layer with neoprene straps
- Available in four sizes
- Brand CoolerDog
- Weight 15.5 ounces
- Size XS: Chest – 15.0″ – 18.0″
- S: Chest – 18.0″ – 22.0″
- M: Chest – 22.0″ – 27.0″
- L: Chest – 27.0″ – 34.0″
- This product holds the ice directly on their chest/belly where their vital organs are
- It is very lightweight
- Easy to put on and take off
- Large size fits 70-something lbs dogs
- It’s a thin strip of material
- Ice melts within the first 30-35 minutes.
Dog Cooling Vest by EXPAWLORER
This cooling vest from EXPAWLORER brings the cooling to the backyards with their dog cooling vest. The cool, care-free design embodies the free spirit of your dog.
It has a no-nonsense design that just works. You just zip the vest on to your dog and set them loose. It’s made from a thin chamois material that definitely helps cool your dog down but we noticed that it isn’t as tailored as other competitors resulting in a looser fit. There were also some minor durability issues that customers reported but they weren’t serious enough to degrade the usability of the vest.
If you can look past these minor issues, the EXPAWLORER dog cooling vest is a very affordable option if you want to cool your dog’s body temperature at a very affordable price.
- Precise fitting
- Great water retention
- Light coloration
- Unique chamois material
- Brand EXPAWLORER
- Super absorbent
- Range in colors
- Range in sizes
- Quality material
Hurtta Cooling Dog Vest
This option from Hurtta is a very simple cooling vest for your dogs. Its zippered design makes it easier to put on rather than fumbling around with straps and locks that can potentially be stressful for your dog. With the Hurtta Dog Cooling Vest, you just open the zipper located at the back of the vest, put your dog’s front paws through the holes, pull it up for a snug fit and zip it back up. No clumsy straps, no stress. This vest also concentrates its evaporative capabilities on your dog’s heart and chest region which are the parts on your dog’s body that are most susceptible to overheating.
The Hurtta Dog Cooling Vest comes with some extra features that can further increase its utility including a variety of size options, a leash attachment loop so you can attach a leash without buying a separate leash loop, and it’s also available in a few different colors, although not all sizes come in every color.
- Twice the absorption capacity of terry cloth
- Protects and cools the heart region
- Zipped back and leash logo
- Available in eight sizes
- Brand Hurtta
- Model HU931698
- Weight 5.6 ounces
- The vest is good quality, durable, and comfortable
- It touches the chest and keeps it cool
- Very thick so it should hold lots of water for cooling
- It covers all of the vital organs in the dog's chest
- This ‘cooling’ vest drips terribly when wet
- Too heavy for hot weather even when wet
BINGPET Dog Cooling Jacket
The BINGPET Dog Cooling Jacket offers a unique feature that not many other dog cooling vests have: reflective strips and a highly visible color. These strips increase your dog’s visibility to passing motorists and help prevent accidents from happening and the bright orange color also increases other people’s awareness of your dog. We doubt anything will happen to your dog when you put this jacket on them.
Aside from the safety features of this cooling jacket, it also comes equipped with an adjustable underside buckle and strap system so you can find that perfect balance of snugness and breathability for your dog. The minimalist design covers most of your dog’s back but leaves the sleeve and chest area exposed for better airflow and lessens the irritation your dog might experience.
- Evaporative cooling
- Brand BINGPET
- Model BingpetBE13_Orange_XL_F2
- Color Orange
- Weight 249g
- These vests are great
- Keeps my small dogs cooler in the hot sun
- It stays wet long enough
- Good fit once adjusted
- Great vibrant color and durable design
- It does dry out in an hour or two
- Sturdy material
Ruffwear – Jet Stream High-Performance Cooling Vest
Another offering from Ruffwear, the Jet Stream model of their standard cooling vests offer a more streamlined design and attractive design. Like their other model also found on this list, this vest is also made from their 3-layer material design but offers more freedom of movement due to the enlarged neck and leg cutouts, perfect for very active dogs who like to run and play round with other dogs at a park or just in your background. The durability and quality of construction is also top-notch with a sculpted shape, ensuring a snug fit while your dog rolls and jumps around.
They also offer this vest in six sizes so you can find the vest that fits your dog perfectly, and with the included spandex backing to reflect the sun’s harmful UV rays, along with the zippered design, your dog will have no trouble staying cool while being active.
- Three layered construction
- Cools by evaporation
- Good for high-intensity activity
- High sunlight protection
- Zipper fastening
- Brand BINGPET
- Model 0545-401M
- Weight 3.84 ounces
- Easy to put on and take off
- Very lightweight, does not add additional heat.
- Works for hours
- Seems to be comfortable
- Sizing was true to measurements
- It's a little tricky to put on the first few times
- The nature of the material/fabric is such that you cannot put it in the dryer
FrontPet Adjustable Cooling Vest for Dogs
For larger breeds like German Shepherds and labradors, the FrontPet Adjustable Cooling Vest might be the one for you. With an emphasis on larger and bulkier dogs because of its adjustable side straps, you’ll have no problems finding the right fit for your larger dogs.
This vest is also perfect for urban dwellers because of its sleek, two-tone design and a reflective strip down the back offering a visibility boost since cities aren’t really known for large, open spaces. This cooling vest is made from a soft nylon material that makes it very easy for water to evaporate from the internal water absorbing layer to the surroundings so your dog will stay cooler for longer. The coverage isn’t great, but the parts that require the most protection like the back and chest are well- covered.
The biggest con of this cooling vest is that it only comes in one size. The chest ring only measures from 18” to 23”.
- Stylish lightweight material with reflective strips
- Made from pet-friednly nylon
- No harmful chemicals
- Will not weigh dog down or slip off
- Brand FrontPet
- They fit well
- High quality product
- Durable material
- Easy to put on and take off
- The top dried within 30 min.
- It was too heavy
Canada Pooch Chill Seeker Cooling Vest
If sizing has been an issue for you when searching for your dog’s next cooling vest, then look no further. The Canada Chill Seeker Cooling Vest offers 11 sizes with detailed chest and length measurements so you have as much control as possible over the fit and size of your dog’s cooling vest.
This item is made with a 100% polyester blend shell and lining with a 50/50 Rayon-Polyester weave interior. The Rayon in the middle layer makes sure that enough water is stored by the vest to provide hours of cooling on a single soak.
The uncovered sides may concern some people as it may present a fit issue, but the adjustable straps on the vest’s side ensure a secured fit without hampering your dog’s freedom of movement. The back has excellent coverage providing very good shade protection. It;’s thin, light and durable. This offering from Canada Pooch is definitely one of the top contenders for the best dog cooling vests in the market.
- Water-retaining fabric keeps pup cool
- Mesh layers for air circulation
- No chemical coolants
- Adjustable chest closures
- Brand Canada Pooch
- Weight 2.4 ounces
- Opening on the back for attaching a leash
- Two to six hours of cooling power
- It stays cool and stays put
- Cools Effectively
- Some of the moisture can get to your dog’s fur
- No instruction
HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Coat
Pet owners who have bought this cooling coat from HyperKewl have almost the same comment across the board, “This cooling coat is the best!”. That should be proof enough of the quality and durability of this cooling vest. Their product page boasts that they have one of the longest cooling times of any competitor out there from anywhere between 5 to 10 hours. That’s a very long time for a dog cooling vest to stay cool. One of the best, in fact.
It’s available in multiple sizes and comes in either a vibrant blue or a cool silver, making it very stylish for those who care about the look of their K9 companions. The strap-on design also makes this vest very secure, if not a little restraining, but nothing too major. It provides excellent coverage of the back, legs, chest, and collar areas of your dog so no matter the heat of the sun, your dog can stay nice and cool for as long as they want to be outside.
One area that the HyperKewl struggles in, however, is usability for older or smaller dogs. This vest is rather thick and heavy right out of the box and while that does lend itself very well for the durability of the vest, it does make it quite difficult for older dogs and dogs with mobility issues to use. If your dog is particularly small or may be a little old, consider one of the other listings that we provide in this list!
- Lightweight and flexible
- Evaporative technology provides 5-10 hours of cooling relief
- Range of coat sizes to accommodate numerous types of dogs
- Brand HyperKewl
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 34.00 x 15.00 x 0.50 Inches
- Provides between 5-10 hours of cooling at a time
- Available in two colors and multiple sizes
- Lightweight and Moveable
- Adjustable to help with a fit
- Must be wet to be effective, your dog will stay dry while wearing it
- Gets heavy when wet
PupPal Pet Cooling Vest
Rounding out our top 12 list of the best dog cooling vest is the PupPal Pet Cooling Vest. This cooling vest keeps your dog cool during the summer times. If your dog starts panting heavily, it may be the perfect time to put on this cooling vest.
This vest also comes presoaked right out of the factory so you can use it immediately. After the cooling effects have worn off, simply rewet the cooling vest to reactivate its cooling effect. This vest will stay cool for hours on end so you and your dog can enjoy hours of fun out in the sun.
- Provides Hours of Cooling - Great for ALL breeds and coat types
- Easy to use - Simply Soak in Cold water and apply
- Refer to sizing chart photo before ordering for Best Fit - product may run Small
- Keep your Pet Cool in the Summer Heat
- Brand PupPal
- Weight 2.4 ounces
- Suitable for all coat types and breeds.
- Lightweight and portable
- Small holes for proper air ventilation
- Easy to wear and use
- Offered in fewer sizes than others on the list
- Tiny and flimsy
Buying Guide & FAQs
Dog Cooling Vest Buyer’s Guide and FAQs
Before you buy your next cooling vest for your dog, you gotta look at a for things to help you determine what makes a good dog cooling vest.
- Proper Fit – ensuring that the vest fits your dog well is essential for it to work properly. Having too loose of a fit will trap additional air in between the surface of your dog’s fur and the vest itself. This excess air may actually hinder the effects of the vest rather than provide any cooling effect. Consult the appropriate sizing guides found with the product pages of each product.
- Durability – dogs are very energetic animals and anything that you plan to make them wear must be durable enough to withstand the wear-and-tear of daily puppy play times. Many of these vests are made from multiple layers made from either nylon or PVA materials. Nylon or other synthetic materials are generally more durable than PVA and will last longer. Other factors like the quality of the materials, stitching, zipper, straps, and the buckles will also play a factor in your cooling vest’s lifespan.
- Reflectivity – an increasing number of manufacturers are making the surface of their dog cooling vests reflective. The reason for this is 2-fold: especially in cities where there is a good deal of vehicular activity, a reflective back to your dog’s cooling coat will considerably decrease that your dog will have an unfortunate encounter with a vehicle, second is that the reflective surface actually reflects sunlight and does not the vest absorb that heat. This greatly reduces the body temperature of your dog.
- Design – design is one of those things that affect your purchase decision even before you consider the features of the vest. Personal style preference is very important for many owners and manufacturers know this, incentivizing them to design sleek and stylish cooling vests for dogs. Try to look at a number of models to know what style fits your personal preference.
- Extra Features – some of the products listed here come with extra touches that enhance the user experience. Things like detachable leashes, harness support. Some of them even include a free cooling mat when you purchase a cooling vest. Don’t be blinded however to the point that you neglect
Frequently Asked Questions*Click on one of the questions below to show the answers.
Dog cooling vests are an innovative piece of pet accessory for dogs. These vests offer a variety of benefits that your dogs can enjoy and can make them happier, healthier and generally be in a better mood. Unlike cooling towels for people, dog cooling vests use 2 main ways to cool your dog down: evaporative cooling and reflection.
Make sure that the vest you choose is the right size for your dog as a loose vest can irritate your dog and cause them to try and take the vest off. Many brands offer sizing charts or guides on their product pages so this shouldn’t be a problem so long as you do your due diligence.
Dog’s deal with heat in a very special way. You see, dogs can’t sweat like us do because they don’t have sweat glands. Dogs and most other animals expel heat either by panting or by just letting the heat dissipate from their bodies. This makes dogs very susceptible to overheating.and may cause permanent harm. Cooling vests help by accelerating the convection process effectively reducing their need for panting. If you see your panting for extended periods of time, then it may be time to purchase one. Choose from one of your top picks! And if you’re wondering where to get a cooling towel for yourself, then check out the best in depth guide on cooling towels here.
Dogs, unlike humans, can’t really sweat. So they rely on panting to lower their body temperatures when things get a little hot under the hood. Dogs can also experience a heat stroke just like us humans when their body temperature exceeds a certain value. To help this, cooling vests offer a variety of cooling effects to lower your dog’s temperature.
Signs to look out for include:
• Heavy panting for more than 15 minutes
• Noisy breathing
• Disorientation or loss of mobility
• Collapsing and convulsing
• Bright red or blue gums
If you see one or a combination of these symptoms, your dog may be overheated and may require immediate remedies. One of the quickest things you can do for your dog if they overheat is to put on a cooling vest.
Cooling vests have been around for a number of years now. Athletes and construction workers were one of the first groups of people to utilize the technology behind cooling vests in the form of cooling towels and cooling shirts.
A dog cooling vest is a wearable for your dog that is made from specific materials that either reflect excess sunlight or facilitate better and faster evaporation of a cooling liquid contained inside the vest. Both of these mechanisms ultimately want to do the same thing; to cool and lower the body temperature of your dog.
Some vests incorporate a reflective component on the outside of the vest for increased visibility. Most vests that have this feature are geared towards urban pet owners because there are significantly more automobile and, subsequently, automobile-related accidents in urban areas. To not only do dog cooling vests cool down your dog, they also have safety features built in. Added value for your money.
The multilayer construction used on most of these vests use a combination of materials serving different purposes to lower your dog’s body temperature. In a three-layer vest, the outer and outer materials are usually made from the same material in that the inner layer should shield your dog from moisture inside the vest, the middle layer is usually some sort of PVA or another synthetic material that can hold water. This water is what facilitates the cooling process for this type of dog vest. The outer layer of most of these vests should facilitate faster evaporation. These all serve to cool your dog and prevent them from overheating.
Dogs tend to smell after a long day and even the items that your dog usually touches or interacts with eventually take on the smell of the dog. Cooling vests are intended to stay on your dog for hours so it would be okay to assume that they develop that doggy smell fairly quickly.
The good thing is, most dog cooling vests are made durable enough to endure a machine wash. Just load it up into the washing machine, hopefully without other items of clothing that you wear lest you want to smell like your dog for the foreseeable future, add some detergent and let it do its thing. If you take care of your dog cooling vest and wash it regularly, it will last you many, many years. It could even become a lifetime partner for your dog.
Some reviews and user testimonials cite that their dogs don’t like the cooling vest being on them. They try to bite, chew, or scratch them off, sometimes resulting in some injuries.
All of the products that we listed provide their own sizing chart system to help you find the vest that best fits your dog. More often than not, the reason why your dog might not be comfortable with their vest is because of the poor fit. Being too loose and too tight can both contribute to the comfortability of the cooling vest for the dog. If the vest is too tight, your dog may feel like they are being restricted or choked and may actually make them heat up even more because they become agitated and will try to take the vest off, often damaging it in the process. If the vest is too loose, the cooling effect may be greatly reduced because hot air may become trapped under the extra space in between your dog and the vest. For the best cooling effect, make sure that the vest fits securely but not tightly on your dog. Important measures to know about your dog include the girth of its head, neck, and body. Measure these with a measuring tape and look at the sizing chart of the vest of your choice. Some brands also use weight as their guide in choosing a cooling vest for your dog.